Sant Joan d’Alicante is located just north of Alicante City and has a population of approximately 22,000. It’s proximity to the capital city of the province has meant Sant Joan has always had a close affiliation with Alicante City both historically and economically. To this day many inhabitants of Sant Joan commute daily to Alicante to work.
The town was so called after the Christians reclaimed it from the Moors in 1246 and renamed the Arab Mosque after Saint John the Baptist. In the 1600s all the remaining Muslims were expelled from the town which had a terrible effect on the local population. The muslims were experts in both the local industries and agriculture and their absense meant that these industries suffered and there an exodus followed.
Since the building of the national N340 road in the 1950s, the town has had a resurgence and the population grew once more. Industry has flourished as a result.
There’s plenty to see in the town including the old church of John the Baptist, the Chapel of Santa Ana and the Calgary Heritage. There are also lots of parks and gardens where children can play and adults relax. Theres lots to do and the area is known for it’s outdoor activities. It’s a very popular area with walkers and golfers alike and the 7km of beaches have plenty of watersports on offer.